Thursday, January 7, 2016

About Seasons


As we enter the winter months and many of you are looking at weeks and months of cold bleak weather; I want to take some time to talk about seasons. So whether you are frustrated with the lack of change in seasons from summer to winter (this Northerner turned Florida girl is raising her hand here), from winter to spring (all you northerners), or you are stuck in a seemingly endless season of life, I hope you find these words encouraging.

Regardless of the type of season you are facing, one thing remains true. God is in control. He knows the season you are in and he is sovereign through it.  

Daniel 2:21 “He changes times and seasons; he removes kings and sets up kings; he gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding.”

It is so easy to get caught up in wishing for a new season and complaining about the place God has for you. I have found myself caught in this trap again and again. This past fall was tough because while I flipped through the lovely Instagram photos of cooler weather and changing leaves, our weather remained steadily in the 90s with humidity that pushed the ‘real feel’ well into the 100s every day. I found myself complaining all too often about the weather. But then God in his intimate knowledge of what I need in each moment directed me to this verse in Daniel. “He changes times and seasons.”

It was like he was saying “Be still my daughter, remember who is in control of this season, remember who has the power to change this season, remember who has a purpose in everything. Remember daughter, the seasons I have faithfully carried you through and rejoice in the season you are currently in.” 

Maybe this sounds dramatic, considering I am  talking about the weather here, but the simplicity of it really helped me to reflect on how he controls the seasons of my life as well.

So maybe you are a mom stuck in the season of newborn midnight wake-ups and sleep seems like a far off dream that you will never achieve.

Maybe you are a mom who is deep in the trenches of toddlerhood with constant direction and discipline feeling like your little ones will never grow to understand the boundaries you are putting in place for their safety.

Maybe you are in a season of loneliness and a lack of  community, where you long for authentic friendships. 

Maybe you are in a season of dryness and longing in your marriage with your husband.

Maybe you are in a season of working away from home, when you wish you could be home with your little ones. Or maybe you are in a season of saying home when you miss working and daily adult conversation.


Whatever your season, know he is in control. He gave you that season for a purpose, and the season will change, but in his timing. I don’t want to say “it is just a season” because it isn’t just a season, it is the constant endless reality of your life right now. So stop thinking “It is just a season, It will end soon.” And start asking Him for wisdom in understanding the purpose of this season, grace to learn even in the hardest days and patience to endure. Start thanking him for this season, even as it is hard, knowing that He is the one in control and he is the one with a sovereign purpose in all of it. 

5 comments:

  1. Boy, can I relate Allison! I live in Florida also. We should hook up;) I also wish we had more of the season s but I am learning to enjoy Florida living! We really have so much to be thankful here. I have kind of felt like I have been in a funk after Christmas wondering what God has in store for me this season as I feel a little displaced. Thanks for your encouraging words reminding me that God is in control and has great plans in store for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! God knew I'd need this. Thank you for being his instrument

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. This was so so good and I am in like every season you described. Sleepless nights with my 8 month old, the constant power struggle with my 2 year old, feeling far away from the Lord, and closeness with my husband is just a far off memory at this point.
    Thank you for this word and this incredible reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. This was so so good and I am in like every season you described. Sleepless nights with my 8 month old, the constant power struggle with my 2 year old, feeling far away from the Lord, and closeness with my husband is just a far off memory at this point.
    Thank you for this word and this incredible reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Share your heart with us friends. We respond to every comment and would love to connect with you. :)

"Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow." -Ecclesiastes 4:9