Monday, February 22, 2016

Choosing joy in the small things.

One who is faithful in very little is also faithful in much. - Luke 16:10
Ladies. Today I want to talk about the little things. The little things we do that we don't like to do. The little things no one sees us do. The little things that no shows appreciation for us doing.
We all have little things we don't like to do and it's highly probable that we may even dread it more than bigger things.
Personally I find it harder to choose joy in the little things because those things often go unnoticed. Not that I expect a thank you every time or a pat in the back every time however, when it does happen I feel like I could do it over and over again because it was appreciated, someone noticed and someone was pleased. 
LIKE DISHES! It's the never ending job that never tends to get noticed. Just one look at the overflowing sinkful of those greasy, sticky, smelly dishes makes me want to run under the covers and try again tomorrow. Which is never the best idea because once tomorrow hits the dishes will be way more overwhelming. 
 But recently I have been trying to take joy in the little duties that overwhelm me the most. I've been choosing to thrive through those dirty dishes with a smile on my face and getting them done knowing that it doesn't go unseen because God sees and is pleased when I do things to serve my family because in reality I'm serving Him when I do these things with a joyful heart.  
I have chosen to see how blessed I am to have dishes to wash, water to wash them with and soap to clean them with. I've chosen to see how blessed I am to have a husband and children who dirty the dishes and expect me to clean them. I'm learning to love that.
I have learned that it does no good for me to dread the little things I don't want to do. When I dread  doing something it steals my current joy. It steals my happiness and it takes away from my family. I'm no longer willing to let that happen. 
What are the little daily things you dread doing? laundry? grocery shopping? vacuuming?  or perhaps even doing the dishes like me? 
This week let's take one day at a time to thrive through our daily do's with joy. Lets deal with these little things that tend to steal our joy and look at them differently. Let's do our dishes, clean our floors, and pick up those cheerios our two year old spilled all over the car without depending on the applause of our husbands or children because truth is, most of the time we're not going to get it from them. Let's do all of these things with humble hearts all for the glory of God.  Because with Him nothing goes unseen. He sees you. He hears you. He loves you. And He's so proud of you! 
 "Truly I tell you, whatever you did for the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for Me."  -Matthew 25:40

5 comments:

  1. I needed this. I'm really struggling with this very thing at work. I've always loved my job but this year I'm overwhelmed by the issues at work and the amount of unappreciation from both the students and parents. I just keep thinking about how much I'm missing with my own kids to be with the ones I'm with at work. I know it makes me sound awful. I really am grateful for my job and I do love it in general. This year has just been so hard. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this post <3 I really needed to read this :)

    Blessings,
    Edye // Gracefulcoffee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh bless you for this post! I've been feeling a little overwhelmed by a few 'jobs' around the home but now I will embrace and complete them with joy becasue I am truly blessed! Thank You!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so blessed that it brought encouragement to your mama soul. I'm hope you're having an amazing monday!

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed reading and visiting... you have a beautiful website, God Bless!
    JoyfulSavings recently posted: Do not throw away that body lotion tube...YET!

    ReplyDelete

Share your heart with us friends. We respond to every comment and would love to connect with you. :)

"Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow." -Ecclesiastes 4:9