Thursday, February 25, 2016

When God Calls Our Children...


Since the birth of our daughter, I have had this deep rooted belief that God will call her to go far away from us to do His work. I could be completely wrong when the time comes but this feeling of expectancy has yet to leave me. This belief challenges me raise her in a way that will promote independence from us and dependence on Him. I struggle with the fact that one day my child could cross oceans for the sake of God's calling on her life but I am also excited by the possibility. 

This all probably sounds crazy considering she's only about to turn 3. 


At any rate, no matter where her journey takes her, I am going to have to be okay with letting her go. I struggle with that even now. She is almost 3 and I have no idea where the time has gone! It seems like yesterday I was crying out to the Lord in the midst of our infertility struggle for a child and now here we are. She is beautiful, animated, dramatic, loving, kind, defender of her little brother, all things princess, play in the dirt, and above all, independent.


I look at my mini carbon copy and smile. Her personality mimics mine in so many ways. Just as she has a fiery spirit and independent streak, so do I. We both like control, which has made it hard for me to let her do some things without my assistance. I remember the first time she told me she did not want to hold my hand to walk down the stairs. She told me she could do it by herself. ::tears:: No one wants to see their child hurt or fail, but ultimately that's how they learn. Our job is to guide them according to the Word of God. We are to raise them to seek Him in their choices. We are to pour prayer over every aspect of their lives.

I was reminded of this upon reading about King David and Solomon. King David was experienced, prepared and had access to all the resources and provisions necessary to build the temple that God had laid before him. Anyone would agree that it made complete sense for a man such as him to build something so important.

David was ready.

However, God had other plans. He instructed King David to pass the task to his son Solomon.

He said to me: 'Solomon your son is the one who will build my house and my courts, for I have chosen him to be my son, and I will be his father.
1 Chronicles 28:6

Odd, considering Solomon had neither the experience or preparation for such a potentially daunting assignment. Now, I don't know what David initially thought upon hearing this but there is no record of him questioning God's decision.

I think how easily David could have allowed his son to take only part of the job or how he could have done everything for him, but he didn't. From a human stand point, the risk of failure and embarrassment would be huge in this situation. However, he followed God's command and allowed his son make the decisions and follow the plans as he saw fit according to the layout God had provided. Once he passed the torch, we can see him do a couple things that we as parents can do today to help our children without micromanaging so that they to can have the opportunities to grow and learn.

Guidance and Encouragement 
King David provided sound instruction and encouragement for his son. He knew Solomon would need to remain firm in his faith to accomplish the task laid before him.

“And you, my son Solomon, acknowledge the God of your father, and serve him with wholehearted devotion and with a willing mind, for theLord searches every heart and understands every desire and every thought. If you seek him, he will be found by you; but if you forsake him, he will reject you forever. Consider now, for the Lord has chosen you to build a house as the sanctuary. Be strong and do the work.”
1 Chronicles 28:9-10

David also said to Solomon his son, "Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you until all the work for the service of the temple of the LORD is finished.
1 Chronicles 28:20

Prayer
King David communicated regularly with God. It goes without saying that he would indeed take his son and the work that he would be doing and bring it before the Lord. Likewise, we need to place the lives of our children in God's hands and pray for them daily as God works in their lives.

I know for me, this story has served as a personal reminder that as the years go by, it will not be my place to question God's call on the lives of my children, but instead, guide them and pray for their sound judgment and discernment. Letting go will never be easy but it is necessary and can be handled gracefully with the Lord at our sides.

Linking up for Mommy Moments

2 comments:

Share your heart with us friends. We respond to every comment and would love to connect with you. :)

"Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow." -Ecclesiastes 4:9