Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Motherhood: The best kind of hard


Today was hard. The kids were extra obnoxious, disobedient and just plain crazy. There were moments when I handled them with patience and authority and other moments when I did not handle them well at all. Some days I feel like a child myself; not wanting to do what I know I need to do. Is there really ever a point where you know what you are doing?  I hope so, but for now I know I have so much to still learn about parenting.

Just when I think I have things under control, my children's and my sin nature throw me for a loop. I wish I could say that knowing the right thing to do was as easy as doing it, but it's just not so. I need God's grace every moment of the day. I need it when I am reacting well to a situation and I need it when I want to lash out in anger at a rebellious child.

I find myself apologizing throughout the day as I do what I know I shouldn't do. Thankfully my children are the sweetest(as well as the craziest.) They continually surprise me and overwhelm me with their forgetful forgiveness and continuous love. It's funny how they can bring me to tears of frustration as well as tears of joy.

Motherhood is hard. There is no two ways about it. Whether you have given birth to your children or God has put them in your heart through adoption or a blended family. The sleepless nights, the endless cleaning, the never ending cries of hunger, the disobedience, the temper tantrums, the whining, the vomit, the poop...

Though there are some rough days in motherhood, I really can't imagine a better kind of hard.

It's easy to get bogged down and overwhelmed by motherhood when we think about all we have to do and is expected of us, but we truly have been given such a great gift...

The gift of dying to ourselves daily for the ones we love.

The gift of learning to put the needs of others above ourselves.

The gift of seeing our great need for the Saviour's grace and strength to make it through each day.

The gift of being loved unconditionally no matter how much we mess up and fail.

The gift of being pushed beyond what we ever thought we were capable of.

"I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith  in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Galatians 2:20

When we remember that our lives our not our own and that they have been bought with a price, our perspective changes. It reverts off of ourselves and onto Jesus; allowing us to see through his eyes. When we allow Christ to live through us, ministering to the needs of our children and families we can see even the hardest situations and circumstances as the best possible use of our time and strength.

We are not just cleaning up food off the floor, wiping boogers, comforting hurt feelings and kissing boo boos; we are doing a kingdom work as mothers... that will last on into eternity.

Yes, today and many days of motherhood are hard, but they are the best kind of hard I could ever imagine.

Have you had a hard day in mothering? Know that God's grace is there for you. He is able to make it abound to you in whatever hardship you face. He is able to allow you to find joy in the midst of the chaos and see the gift and blessing that motherhood really is.

How is God refining you and making you more like him through motherhood?

How is motherhood harder than you imagined? How is it better?

Linking up here.



25 comments:

  1. Wow my friend! I love this. What an amazing word and reminder that we are doing a kingdom work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Some days are so so hard. But we are doing a great work. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. Some days are so so hard. But we are doing a great work. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this!!! Such a great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously i think you were in my house watching me this week!! I have been struggling to remember this!! Thank you for this reminded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Wasn't me but I have a feeling God wants to remind us all;)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. I hear ya! I teach 1st grade and so much of this applies there too lol. I was also in Galatians this week. The Lord definitely has a way of getting to us :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a good perspective to keep especially in the midst of the tough days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome post, Rebekah! Thanks so much for sharing your heart with us. GOD bless you and your family, beautiful friend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Harder? The relationship aspect once the "children" become young men.
    Better? The relationship aspect once the "children" become young men. HA! I was kind of realizing this as I was writing it, but it's true. The part that I have found hardest, is also the very best part.
    Thanks for your thought provoking words and questions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks for sharing your insight! Mine are still so young. I'm going to miss these days but I know that there is much to look forward to:)

      Delete
  10. Beautiful thought provoking post. You are such an inspiration Rebekah. Thank you for these words. God bless you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such encouraging words and a timely reminder of the importance of God's grace in both my life and the lives of my children. As many times as I fail as a mom, He is there to pick me up and to love and grow my children in spite of my failures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am SO glad you were encouraged Tracey! Yes, God is so gracious to us mothers;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such good encouragement and reminder that we are doing important kingdom work! I know there are SOOOO many days (maybe like EVERY day) where I don't quite knock it out of the park in the mom department. But He offers grace and this definitely is the best kind of hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! So thankful for his grace in our moments of weakness and need!

      Delete
  14. This is beautiful! What an encouragement - Sharing now!

    Elizabeth
    thislittlehomeofmine.com

    ReplyDelete

Share your heart with us friends. We respond to every comment and would love to connect with you. :)

"Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow." -Ecclesiastes 4:9