Tuesday, November 3, 2015

In His Image




A few weeks ago I was in the kitchen loading the dishwasher for what seemed like the umpteenth time. Busy, distracted, probably complaining silently to myself because dishes...ya know how it is! Not to mention the fact that I was 9 months pregnant. And how does so much food and nastiness end up in the sink? We may never know...

Anyway I was getting the dishes loaded when my sweet little 2 year old, Selah came up to me and said, "Mommy I doing dishes too!" with the biggest smile on her face. She ran back to her play kitchen proud as can be. In that split second I realized something huge. Monumental even. My baby wants to be like me. Wow.
So I had to wonder...who am I portraying to her? It says in God's word that we are made in His image, on the outside that is. But what about the inside? Our sin nature is constantly at war with who we are in Christ and who God made us to be. I don't know about you but I want to portray His nature, His image to my children. There is no greater responsibility.

Here I was silently complaining about dishes and God was teaching me a lesson. Isn't that how it always happens though? I immediately heard this verse in my spirit. That still small voice. 

Therefore be imitators of God[copy Him and follow His example] as well-beloved children [imitate their father]. Ephesians 5:1

My daughter is watching me, copying me right now. I set the standard for what she knows to be right and wrong. What a great responsibility we as mothers have been given. What an amazing gift.

So mothers I am challenging myself this week and I am challenging you. Lets set the standard this week. I'm not going to be a grumbling and complaining mom who is just getting by. I'm going to lean on Jesus and in doing so I'm going to pray that He makes me look more like Him every day to my babies.

Thank you Lord for your grace to us mothers! Thank you for this amazing gift that so many take for granted. Lord help us to imitate you and be good examples to our babies. To be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry Lord.  Help us to hear your still small voice this week. Thank you for molding us into mamas after your own heart! In Jesus' mighty name we pray. Amen!

xoxo Sarah Nicole

3 comments:

  1. Yes yes yes, Sarah! Martin and I were just saying this the other day because Seth is finally starting to copy us with his words. He is learning how to be a man of God FROM US. That is a big responsibility.
    Beautiful reminder! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had this conversation with the ladies in my Sunday school class. I want to make sure I am what she needs to see and that Christ is evident.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sooooo good!!! I love this. Such a great reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your heart with us friends. We respond to every comment and would love to connect with you. :)

"Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow." -Ecclesiastes 4:9