Monday, March 28, 2016

Let them help.


I was cooking in the kitchen just wanting to get things done so I could go spend time with my kids and you know feel like a "good mom" and as I was cooking I looked down to my big helper who looked me in the eyes and I knew the question was coming. 
I'm gonna be honest there are days when I do dread the
  "can I help mama?" question. because sometimes I feel as though I can get things done way quicker without helping them help me. But I have the hardest time telling them no when it comes to help and that day was one of those days I chose to let her help me.
Our baking came and went and of course it took twice as long as it would have and finally we were able to  play. 

Each night I try to remember to ask my girls what their favorite part of the day was and that night my three year old's  answer came to surprise me. I thought she was going to say her favorite part of the day was going to the store and buying her Rapunzel toy, or playing with it on the table with Mama. I even thought she was going to say eating cupcakes and watching TV I mean, who doesn't love that. But no. Instead she said
"My favorite part of the day was cooking with you mama, thanks for letting me help".

With tear filled eyes and a touched heart I couldn't help but think to myself that if I were to say no to her earlier and focused on just getting things done faster I would have missed out on my daughter's favorite part of the day. And that day I learned something.

The best part of my daughter's day is when I selflessly give myself to make her feel loved, heard and appreciated. To show her that her company is enjoyed and her help is appreciated. To show her that she's loved. That she's more important than a time limit.

Maybe my daughter doesn't want things, maybe she doesn't care what we're doing as far as playing with play-doh or legos. Maybe my daughter just wants me. Maybe she just wants my time more than anything. Maybe that's how I'll reach her. Maybe that's how I'll win her heart and maybe that's how I'll never lose it.

This is my encouragement and gentle push for you today my sisters and fellow mamas.
Let them help you in any job that's appropriate to help you with. It may be hard, stressful and even annoying at times but I've learned that the love that makes a difference. The love that wins the heart is the love that is most selfless and unseen. 


Heather Leigh is the founder of Arrows and warriors online ministry. She is firstly a daughter of God and loves meeting with Him early in the morning before her little arrows wake up. She is married to her best friend Leon and together have two little girls Evelynne and Liya.
Heather loves the color pink, all things coffee shops and coffee, tea parties and dress up with her girls and going on adventures and exploring through the eyes of her children as they show her glimpses of God's Kingdom.

4 comments:

  1. I know the feeling. Whether it be age or beginning signs of her love language, she loves to help. It can mean a little extra work for us but like you said, it means so much to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good encouragement- I know what you mean. I struggle slowing down and letting them help. This really reminded me of the importance of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize just how important it was until now. It's worth every second if it means that much to them you know? :)

      Delete

Share your heart with us friends. We respond to every comment and would love to connect with you. :)

"Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow." -Ecclesiastes 4:9