Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Let's stop looking at each other and look to Jesus


Our world is changing... drastically changing. It was only a year ago that I got a smartphone and 2 years ago that I got a computer.( I know I am behind the times) With the rise of social media and the platform of blogging, we can see into each other's lives like never before. The problem is we are not always seeing the whole picture and tend to make quick judgements and assumptions. We need a new lens of discernment as we peruse facebook and instagram and blogs; knowing that behind every perfect looking picture of mamas, homes, children and marriages there is imperfect mamas with imperfect homes, imperfect children and imperfect marriages. One picture can not possibly tell the whole story, nor should it. These pictures are only glimpses into part of the story. No matter how much it might look like they have everything together, the truth is no one does. They just might do life differently than us.

Hiding behind a phone or a computer screen can bring out the worst in us or the best. We tend to say things we would not normally say to someone's face. We need to search our hearts more than ever before we post that picture or jump in on the conversation and make sure that our motives are right.

I have found myself judging others more quickly without even really knowing someone, when they post something that might be better left unshared. Thoughts, beliefs, convictions; we all have them and I know I am guilty of spewing my personal thoughts out there into the interwebs without thinking sometimes. It's good to be bold for the right reasons but I want to make sure that I am not causing anyone to stumble and that I would be willing to share my convictions with someone face to face, instead of cowardly aiming a post at a certain person in mind.

I honestly LOVE instagram! I could do without facebook but give me all the instagram pics! I love looking at beautiful pictures. I am just a visual person. I like pretty things. I am probably on there way more than I should be, but I get so inspired looking at all the pretty mamas with their pretty homes and their pretty babes. I try to follow those who are spiritually edifying and inspiring and share the truth behind their photos. Do I ever get jealous or envious? Yes! Mostly of others homes and travels but I also get really inspired. Some of these cool insta mamas and my real life cool friend mamas make me often think, " How do they do it all?!" But they also have inspired me to do things that I never thought I could do and given me great ideas for my home, homeschool and family. Do I try to do everything they do? No! But I am learning to glean what I admire about them while still knowing what I am called to do.

We need to know our calling. To know that just because someone else seems to be doing everything under the sun doesn't mean we have to, or are less than if we don't. We need to focus on our priorities for our families. What is important to us?  How do we want to make the best use of our time?--->We need to look to Jesus... We need to stand firm in who he has called US to be as mothers, homemakers, wives, daughters, sisters and friends. Let's imitate others as they imitate Christ. Let's get inspired from each other, learn from each other, but ultimately look to Jesus as the example for our lives.

It's so easy to look at other's lives and think it's unfair that they have the perfect body, the perfect marriage, the perfect children or the perfect home.

We don't understand when others remain healthy while we or our loved ones get sick and even die.

We question why the guilty seem to never get justice while the innocent are hurt and murdered.

We argue with God about the hard path he has called us to while others seem to get the easy path.

We wonder why others seem to be able to do it all with a smile and skip in their step while we are barely able to get out of bed and put one foot in front of the other.

We need to stop comparing our lives and start living our lives for Jesus! We need to be confident in what he has called us to do with the lives he has given us.

If God has called you you to send your children to public school, don't feel bad because your friends homeschool. If you homeschool don't feel like you have to keep up with the public school. If you don't decorate your house to the umpteenth degree for Christmas don't feel inferior when you visit your friend's house whose is. If you have 1 or 2 children don't feel like you are less than mom. If you have 4 or more children don't be embarrassed to say yes, when people ask you if you want to have more! etc..etc...

"Lord what about this man?" Jesus said to him, " If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow me!" John 21:21

As Peter asked Jesus this pointed question, Jesus pretty much said to him, "Don't worry about him, don't look at his life, what does it matter to you? My will for his life is not my will for your life. You---you follow me!"

So it is the same for us. God's will for someone else's life is not the same for ours. We need to stop looking at the other person and look to Jesus... and follow him!

This topic has been on my heart for some time and is the theme of my blog faithful with the little. --- Being faithful with what God has given us to do no matter how big or small; choosing to fix our eyes on Jesus, off of ourselves and off of the world and those around us and hone in on what he wants us to do. We don't need to compare; we need to encourage, uplift and humble ourselves to see that God has not called us all to do the same thing, especially when it comes to things that do not determine our salvation, but to fix our eyes on him..not them and run the race he has called us to.

"Therefore since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith..." Hebrews 12:1-2 (ESV)

Are you so occupied looking at someone else's life that you are not looking at Jesus? Are you asking Jesus, "What about them"? When you should be asking him, "What about me? What do you want me to do?"  

Linking up here!

9 comments:

  1. Great post friend!! I was just thinking about this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes yes yes!!! It's always bothered me when people talk about how horrible social media is. Yes, sometimes it takes up too much of my time. And yes, some people hide behind it and post hateful things. And yes, sometimes I compare myself to others and feel bad about myself. But mostly, I use it as inspiration. Mostly I use it to keep up with friends. And mostly, I use it to encourage others. It's not all bad. Just like almost anything in this world, it's all about how you use it. Any tool can be used for good or for bad. Here's to looking for Jesus and others and focusing on letting others see Him through us! Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for this gentle reminder! I need to remember this daily. IT is so easy to get caught up in looking at others instead of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So enjoyed this post, Rebekah! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Share your heart with us friends. We respond to every comment and would love to connect with you. :)

"Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow." -Ecclesiastes 4:9